Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Naps

Some people are nap people and some people just plain old aren't. This would probably be the biggest difference between Rob and I. Even when I was little, I couldn't nap -- that's why my mom let me watch Days of Our Lives. But Rob. Well Rob could get a full 8 hours of sleep and still drift off for a good 4 hour nap in the middle of the day. And then still fall asleep at a normal time of night for another 8 hours of sleep.

Since I've known Rob he's gotten much better at restraining from naps. Now he really has a crappy sleep schedule where he often gets only 6 or 7 hours of sleep before getting up for work at 3 am. I don't begrudge him naps, but he doesn't really take them either because he wants to be able to fall asleep early. Of course his ability to function on very little sleep is precisely the reason that Rob will be doing a lot of the nightly feedings once our bundle of joy arrives.

Meanwhile, I have realized that I really need to embrace naps. Last night I woke up no less than 4 times during the night and for a period of an hour and a half somewhere in the darkness could not fall back asleep because of a) baby activity and b) complete discomfort. Part of the discomfort is the whole kidney stone thing, but mostly it's just, well, being uncomfortable. Yet somehow when I take naps, I sleep perfectly comfortably. SO from now on, I'm a napper. Newly converted. Just took a nap as a matter of fact. Highly recommend it.

3 comments:

Literary Auntie said...

Oh, I love a nap - always have. Sometimes I take long lunches just to get some more sleep in. Even better if I have kitties curled all around me.

A Fuss said...

Do you go and sleep in your car like Luis?

Literary Auntie said...

Ha ha, no! I can walk home from work!

Although now I'm thinking of my cats hanging out in my car, waiting for naptime so they can curl up with me in the backseat!