Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Orleans

Last night we went to see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It was a really beautiful movie with some fantastic glimpses at New Orleans, including some shots of the houses on Saint Charles and nighttime in the quarter. And the Rue de la Course on Oak Street! Where Rob used to manage and I used to sit for hours while visiting.

It made me powerfully homesick for that city, and I found myself thinking this morning of Tulane campus and how much it surely must have changed. For some reason I found myself missing the PJs in pocket park which I never really frequented but is no longer there. We've sadly not been to New Orleans in at least 2 years (Could it even be more?!?) I find myself in need of at least a two week stay to luxuriate in that lovely city. Alas, it will be quite a while before we are able to return. I don't think we'll be able to go there until well after the baby is born and able to travel that long trip.

Anyway, after the movie, we came out to see that it had steadily snowed throughout the three hour long movie making the outside world as far from New Orleans as possible and a soupy mess. And then when I got home I ended up getting sucked into watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith on TV. I have such dislike for Brangelina and yet at the same time and so easily obsessed with their lives. How is that possible? They are my celebrity frenemies, clearly that is it.

No comments: