Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Part 2 of yesterday's musings...

I have a sad addendum to last night's "Look at me-- I'm so sad and lonely" post. It's sad because a) I didn't remember it yesterday, and b) because I only remembered when I wanted to feel sorry for myself. Yesterday was Rob and my 1.5 year wedding anniversary! Really since I didn't even remember you shouldn't feel sorry for me.

We don't really celebrate half-anniversaries (though my family used to celebrate half-birthdays... oh but also Rob's half birthday was about a week and a half ago... oops... moving on...). In fact really our wedding anniversary doesn't stick with me quite so much as this. Maybe we should have gotten married on our already existing anniversary.

But then we couldn't have had this beautiful moment:



The other musing that this missed anniversary brought to me was that yesterday was also my cousin Katie's birthday (Hey Katie! Happy Birthday! I don't think she reads blogs, but anyway). Which means that her half birthday was on my wedding day. And I forgot that too.

Let's just go back for a moment to discuss the half-birthday idea, because this was my Mom's method and really I think it's genius. You should try it. I am definitely going to do this for people I love (when I remember).

1. Make a one layer cake, cut it in half and turn into half of a two layer cake.
2. Light only 1 candle (I never got why not half the number of birthdays, but whatev)
3. Sing half of happy birthday, making sure to stop in mid-word (Birth or Hap are good places)
4. (This one is my own personal addition) Get a birthday card and write your message/sign it, then go ahead and cut it in half.

Anyone else got good ideas? Because really I'm digging this half birthday thing.

1 comment:

Literary Auntie said...

Well, my half-birthday was last month, then, I guess. 14 and a half candles!

Your friend Kate? The one who interviewed me for Venus Zine? I did enjoy talking to her. But I guess I have to write something before I can publish it.