Sunday, March 16, 2008

I can't tell you how much I love...

National Treasure. And it's on tv right now. I could watch this movie ten thousand times. In fact I think I have. And I really like Diane Kruger (even though she was a horrible Helen in the horrible movie Troy. God that movie was bad).

Anyway both my side note on Helen Kruger and the whole National Treasure thing play into what I wanted to blog about, and thus, it's a good introduction.

This past week I found out that someone at work has a very strong background in Greek Archaeology (digs in Crete, study abroad in Greece the whole nine yards). Additionally she is planning on pursuing a degree in Archaeological Conservation. How fricking cool is that?? I love Archaeology, I love Conservation. I'm so jealous. I always felt like I found Archaeology to late in my educational life to actually make a go of it. By the time I got to grad school (without a Classics degree, without Greek and Latin, without a dig) I felt like I was always playing catch up.

I would still absolutely love to be some fantastic archaeologist who teaches amazingly inspiring Classics courses, publishes high faluting articles which solve the mysteries of the ancient world and takes her family to summer vacation on dusty excavation sites (a la Amelia Peabody, but in Greece or Turkey). Alas, I'm just not that motivated. And as cool and exotic as it sounds, I just can't imagine balancing the stable family life that I want with the education road-trip that I dream about. So I prefer to just dream about it.

I still firmly believe that I could be a professor, or I should say that I will be a professor. But I can't ever see myself going in for all the amazingly competitve crap that is a part of the whole Classics world. I have no desire whatsoever to chase after a teaching job dragging my family from place to place in desperate pursuit of tenure. Ick, the very thought goes against everything that I so desperately want (and the reasons why Rob and I are currently plotting out move back to Buffalo.)

Meanwhile, I'm writing again! Finally. After 3 years of research (and trauma after loosing 150 pages of my improperly saved manuscript at the completely inept hands of the malicious Microcenter tech team), I have finally put pen to paper in my own version of a Greek epic. Which is written in English (see previous note about how I don't have a Greek background), and is not a poem. But, which I think is fairly good. Take that Dr. Bernstein! But that is a topic for another day. You can all read my book if you want. It will be done in approximately 10 years. Stay tuned!

No comments: