Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Roasted Purple Potatoes



Ok, here goes the last salt heavy recipe that you will receive from me. And please note in the picture above you can see my little salt jar peeking into the photo as if to say, "No, please! Don't leave me behind!" Ah, salt...

But alas, I've decided to try giving up salt and coffee for a bit.  I actually grew up without either of these two lovely, beautiful things. My mom never drank coffee. I picked that one up senior year of college in an attempt to study in coffeehouses and get better grades (or a husband, checkity check.) She also never used salt on anything except eggs. I really didn't use salt until I was living on my own and cooking up a storm.

I've decided that salt and coffee probably aren't doing me any good at the moment. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only part of my body that is better for them is my tastebuds. So I'm detoxing and giving them up... for now.

In the meantime, I made this lovely version of hash browns tonight -- secretly in an attempt to make Maddie like potatoes. She did not.

Roasted Purple Potatoes with a Frittata "Sandwich" and
Blistered Tomatoes
Roasted Purple Potatoes:

1. Chop up a blend of fingerling potatoes which include purple ones (obviously!)  and soak them in water for about 15 minutes. I like to dice my potatoes rather small so that I don't spend a ton of time cooking them.

2. Drain thoroughly! Remember that part about how I was cooking up a storm? Well, I know stuff and then I do stupid things anyway. Like drip a bit of water in a pan of oil. Did you know that can actually start a fire? Things that went through my head tonight: We should really by a fire extinguisher. Hmmm, maybe storing cereal boxes on top of the fridge is not a good idea. Huh, so this is what Grandpa Mac felt like. Oh, look it self-extinguished. Phew.

3. Put two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and heat on medium. While heating, dice half of a purple onion.

4. Gradually add your DRAINED and maybe even patted dry potatoes to the frying pan. Douse them with a whole lot of salt -- I used a big pinch (it's my last salty meal!) and cover them, stirring occasionally until you can puncture them with a fork. My small diced potatoes took about 10 minutes.

5. Add purple onion and fry without the lid for about 5 more minutes, turning frequently, until potatoes are crispy and onion is cooked through. Top with fresh herbs -- I used scallion greens -- and serve.

***If you've given up salt or coffee and have words of wisdom or encouragement, I'd love to hear them.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: