Sunday, June 3, 2012

Dirty Drawers





(yes, I line my drawers with foil... Keeps them clean and I didn't have any shelf liner.)

I have always had more than one junk drawer in my kitchen. In this apartment, we have very shallow drawers, so buying organizing boxes/trays was going to be tough. (Plus, I'm too cheap to spend lots of money on organization!)

We've lived her for three years and the mess was getting out of control. When things get jammed and stuff flies out of drawers, you know it's time for a change.

My cheap soul loved the idea of using cereal boxes to create dividers. I saw this idea on Pinterest, but I'm sorry to say I didn't actually pin it, so I can't link it.



My drawers are only half a cereal box high, so I cut boxes in half. Then I categorized all my utensils and, well, junk. I traced out the size on the box and superglued on strips of boxes to make the perfect sized compartments. And I wrote the name of the junk category so my husband can't use the whole "I don't know where this goes so I shouldn't be unloading the dishwasher" trick (I'm on to you, Fussy.)




I'm really amazed at how easy this project was. And I did not spend one penny. It's been two weeks and nothing has slipped out of place.

***a note to those of you who are concerned about what your drawers look like: you could totally paint or cover your cereal boxes in contact paper. I think people looking in drawers will just be shocked that there's something orderly in my kitchen.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: