Monday, March 26, 2012

Putting all our eggs in one basket



I'm making good on one of my Easter Pinterest project pledges! I have a few Easter decorations but not a whole ton, certainly not enough to make it look Eastery around here (of course I could take down my snowflake mobile to affect some spring change). And now that I have a youngster, decorating for the season seems like a much more important, large-scale project. I wanted to use some of these crafts to help me make it look a little bit more festive.

I had seen Yarn Eggs on Pinterest. While the original idea to these was to hide little treats or gifts, I just thought they would be cool decorations. You can find all the instructions here. I decided to make a modification and use Elmer's Glue instead of Mod Podge.




Maddie was skeptical. And truthfully, so was I. They did not look like they were going to set. And indeed, parts of them did not.





But they did in fact work!




Maddie's so convinced, she's even going to fry one up for you in her kitchen. We're keeping them in a bright basket on one of our side tables, but really they travel. Mostly to Maddie's kitchen. Which is exactly what I wanted -- an Easter decoration that could be played with and not broken!

By the way, the rainbow eggs seen in the top picture worked out much better. They were made with a really fine rainbow twine that tangled a lot but dried fantastically. The white yarn I think just had too much fiber to soak up all that glue. They dried with a few softer spots and I think could be pulled apart a little bit more.

Overall, surprisingly simple and perfect outcome.

No comments: