Saturday, February 25, 2012

Making Playdough

This week has been a little on the long side. While I've been home for Winter Break (God love the Buffalo school systems. I mean two spring breaks? Genius!), we've been doing some of this:




Yup, potty training. Which means we've been staying indoors close to the potty all week.

My awesome Mother came over yesterday to give me a break and my husband has been doing his best to help during a rather busy week. But still there are only so many hours in the day that a girl can color. Right?

Then it dawned on me last night that I was just not planning enough or being creative enough. Sometimes I'm so ready for a vacation that I forget to actually plan out things to do and then I get stuck in a rut. Ugh.

So this morning we made playdough. I had seen this idea around the internets and Maddie loves to watch the video on YouTube. But I was a little leery of trying it as I sensed disaster looming -- disaster for my pans, disastrous lumps of unusable gunk, disastrous mess...

Then I found this site: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Playdough-Play-doh/step2/Mix-and-heat/?f=m

Super easy directions and, my favorite, step by step pictures. Voila!




Maddie stirs the ingredients. (I'm not a bad mom - that stove isn't on. But she is wearing "Santa's Little Helper jammies with Mardi Gras beads).




Surprisingly un-messy. Though I am still soaking that pot.




Maddie takes a break to drink hot cocoa with "horsemellows" (ironic, huh?) while watching the snow fall. I know, snow in Buffalo! It's shocking.



How much fun is this, Maddie?



Then you mush in the color. I mean YOU the adult because this is what happens:



Reasons to do craft projects at the beginning of a vacation. Hmmm, maybe I can paint my nails black and pass it off...

Then Maddie says,



You take the spoons and you flip it. It took me 10 minutes to work in the color into four different doughs.



It took her one minute to smush it into one ball. Well, at least we took a break from coloring.

-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Literary Auntie said...

Play dough and potty-training. ...Yup.