Saturday, November 28, 2009

I will not work today. I will not work today. I will not work today.

That is my mantra this weekend. I'm beginning to think I have a serious problem. I try to work pretty much every chance I get - basically whenever Maddie sleeps. When I'm not working, I'm thinking about work. Most of you know this because I talk about work a lot. Some nights I can't sleep because I'm brainstorming ideas.

And when I'm not working, I feel guilty. Like somehow my boss will find out I'm not working and fire me. I do work on weekends, holidays, 5 am wake-ups. I had surgery and worked the next day! I work way more than I get paid to work. Part of the reason I do it is that I'm emotionally invested. I have work that interests me and makes me think. But there are other reasons too, which are not nearly as pleasant.

Given that it's Thanksgiving, I made a pact with myself to not work from sunup Thursday to sunup Monday. And it's made me think, I need to spend more time thinking about my personal life and less time thinking about work. Imagine what I could brainstorm just for me?

This means that this weekend when Maddie has slept, I have had the delightful pleasure of cuddling her close or curling up by her side. And what a joy that is.

No comments: