Monday, October 5, 2009

More on Sleep and Random Thoughts...

Oh, so none of you wanted to comment on the sleep:complaint ratio? Nobody's brave enough to enter into this discussion, I get it. I made Rob read it and he then shook his head, and said, "Yes, dear. You're absolutely right." Except that's obviously not exactly how it happened, considering he never says "Dear" but I was tired at the time. So the conversation really went over my head -- and we all know that for me to miss a conversation in which the key subject is "I AM RIGHT" is a serious travesty.

That's actually been the theme of my life for the past few days. I preface by saying, this will be a vague discussion -- for reasons I cannot state in the blogosphere -- I have been subjected to a battle of "Am I right? Or am I wrong?" No, it's not Rob. And though I know, I'm a pretty over-confident person and often am exceedingly stubborn, in this instance I am about 95% convinced I am sure. And yet, I have no choice but to let go and allow the other person involved to win. Sigh. The entire situation has been exhausting, frustrating and made me excessively glad to have a lovely family and a fantastic job to think about instead. It's also been an exercise in self-development -- learning to let go, find peace, be graceful not gritty. But exhausting nonetheless.

Speaking of exhausting, poor Maddie is just exhausted by her efforts to never nap. She's done very well this week with my awesome, incredible, brilliant, creative, wonderful friend babysitting her this week. But it's still pretty clear that despite being exhausted, she just hates napping. We have figured out thanks to Grandma, that when she fusses for her nap, we can lay her down on the couch cushion and she will fall asleep a little faster. This does make me a little nervous though because she's about to start rolling, and ugh, the possibilities even with me sitting right here. But hey, whatever works. Last night Maddie fell asleep for the night while having her bottle, so I set her down and the minute her head hit the mattress, she popped her eyes open as big as all the world. There was nothing to read in that facial expression except, "Mom, I'm not tired. Nope, I'm never going to sleep, sleep is stupid, play is fun, come on let's play, I'm never sleeping again!"

But she did sleep, and she sleeps well. And in fact she's sleeping right next to me on the couch. Such a pretty girl.

2 comments:

kat said...

And yet, I have no choice but to let go and allow the other person involved to win.

this seems to be going around, and having recently gone through a bout myself i am so, so sorry you have to deal with it. ugh.

Literary Auntie said...

Aw, thanks for all of the compliments, but you know I'll watch your baby anyway!

And yeah, sorry about the situation.