Saturday, February 23, 2008

Ramblin'

Ok, I'm going to preface this blog by saying that I am sick right now. My ears hurt, my sinuses hurt, my throat hurts (God I hate winter). Subsequently, I may not be capable of writing a coherent blog. But I feel as though I have been slacking off in the blog arena, and certainly have phoned it in when I actually have written.

So I guess I'm saying that I'm phoning it in.

The only really good part of being sick is the ability to read all day, something that I often spend a spare second or two wishing, hoping, praying for. Ever since I was a little girl, I've always read more than one book at a time. Now I seem to have quite over done myself. I'm in the midst of 3 books, plus 2 research books -- none of which I have managed to really sink into. Plus, I really am craving something more along the lines of a Jane Austen (perhaps, Persuasion?)

But I digress because I was going to discuss my other lazy day occupation, rewatching really cheesy but wonderful movies. I have never had the hatred of repeats that other people have. Rob can't stand to watch something twice and rarely rereads a book. Not me! I've got a whole library of VHS movies to prove it. That's right VHS. And ever since we actually bought a VHS player, I've been able to watch classics like Sarah Plain and Tall (this morning).

This has to be one of my favorite Saturday morning past times. It reminds me of college when we used to get up on Saturdays and make omelettes and cinnamon rolls (from a can) and watch movies like Sliding Doors and the English Patient. Well, tonight I was flipping through the channels and found a gem. A real jewel, I tell ya.

French Kiss. I love this movie. I love it so much, that it inspired my love of the Cote d'Azur and may potentially have had something to do with my deciding to study in Cannes (I sometimes make decisions based on very strange things). Ah, but really, it's Meg Ryan at her best, and lord knows, I love Kevin Kline in this movie too. And then of course there's the beautiful French countryside and the mocking of the French. And this is what I have been thinking of the most. In the '90's I was convinced that the styles and fashion fads were timeless, and would never stand out in any way shape or form. Yeah, not so much. Not so much at all.

Good times, though.

No comments: