Sunday, February 17, 2008

Change and Resolve

Every year (as in last year and this year) I make a large number of New Year's Resolutions. How large? This year, 108. Last year? 107. This idea was given to me by one of my best and most favorite friends, Kate, who ritually tries to connect her number of resolutions to the year. Obviously 2008 a little bit much. But I think she does 208, and I of course had shortened it down to 108.

See, already that number sounds a little bit scary right? Most people have trouble with just 1 or 2 resolutions. In fact just yesterday Rob told me he can't even remember what he resolved to do. That is actually the magic of this plan! When you have 108 resolutions, you know you can't remember them. So you write them down and reread them regularly. AND then you are constantly aware of how many things you still need to do. That list becomes a whole lot more doable, more like a to do list.

That doesn’t mean my 108 resolutions are easy. They're a nice balance. Some are easy, but some are pretty hard to do. So require simply getting up off my ass. Some involve me making a serious change to my way of life. The nice thing is that when you check off one that's a little easier or one that can be done quickly, you get a little thrill. And a little motivation.

I suppose you want a few examples, huh? Fine, I'll let you take a quick peak into my resolutions. If you were to flip through my book of lists, you might notice:

1. Eat more fruits and veggies.
2. Save money for movers.
3. Blog regularly:)
4. Read at least 5 non-fiction books.
5. Go to church more often (my Mom's favorite, doubtless)

Anyway, the point of my blog today was not the above explanation, but rather to discuss how this year. I'm not doing so well this year. Last year I completed about 90% of my resolutions. This year, I started off really, really well. And then about half way through January I completely dropped off. I'm blaming Bikram yoga. I took that one class and so damn traumatized, that I have felt completely unmotivated. Or is it just the winter doldrums? Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone?

No comments: