Sunday, July 25, 2010

Trying Something New

Right now, I am – as the title implies – trying something new. We drove back from the cottage this morning during Maddie’s naptime. She fell right to sleep but only slept for about 20 minutes, and I maintain that car nap time never counts anyway (have you ever felt rested after waking up from a car nap?)

When we got home, she was so excited to see all of her toys and her “ats” that I knew nap time was not going to happen for a while. But about an hour later, she started looking sleepy so we gave it a try.

Ridiculous insanity ensued. Maddie made every attempt to crawl away from naptime, despite constant signs of being over tired. Finally she simmered down, but just wouldn’t go out. So I decided to cave in – she could stay awake, but have crib time.

And this is the something new. This is the first time I have ever put Maddie down in her crib while awake and the hammer of Thor did not descend upon this house. It’s been about 30 minutes and I have heard a few babbles, but not a single howl. No sounds of hyperventilation, no head banging (yes, head banging), no crib springs squeaking in response to bouncing, no ducks being whacked against the crib rails.

I think she may actually have fallen asleep on her own.

Is this what normal parenting is like?

No comments: