Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Divided No More

OMG - Joachim Phoenix is now in a TV ad for Divided We Fail. Dammit. Now I have to join that one. Except for one thing...

Why exactly is it wrong to be partisan nowadays? Most people actually are partisan, but there seems to be some cultural stigma stuck onto people who actually speak about governmental issues with passion. I often feel shy about admitting that I'm a liberal -- not shy about discussing my liberal stance but about the word "liberal." As if somehow, by being a liberal I am unAmerican.

Then of course there is the awkward aspect of discussing politics with family, which has of late become tense and frowned upon. Why wouldn't we discuss politics? Sorry to diss any friends reading this, but whose political opinions do I most value other than family members? I would love to know why my family members vote the way they do, or for them to ask that simple question of me. Hasn't happened yet. Still waiting.

Altough, Uncle Gary has asked. But he's a Republican.

2 comments:

Net Ghost said...

Hey there - you know, you could ask us our opinions. I'm sure Jim would share his political views. :) He doesn't have a problem with being partisan. And I would share my views too. I think the reason why I don't often discuss politics is because when we both have our minds made up, the only thing that will happen is one of us trying to convert the other. And who needs that kind of discussion, when we only see each other three times a year and are trying to catch up on the whole year?

A Fuss said...

Hm, I see your point. To me, I've always seen the way they vote as part of who they are. I think we should discuss politics sometime -- but perhaps not while you guys are on vacation:)